• Ruben

Eyeball Soup Part 5: Setting the Scene

With most objects now modelled I put them into the scene together. I started by modelling a simple table surface from a cube and then appended all the objects (Edit à Append). Objects that were 2 or more parts, such as the barrels, I joined together (ctrl + j) once in the scene. The fun part was to scale and position them on the table surface like a virtual dollhouse.

I double checked my concept drawing and saw that I had forgotten to model the bones in the bowl. That was an easy fix with quickly pulling up a reference picture from google and modelling a couple just like the dozen other objects before.

A serious challenge was positioning the intestine on the cutting board. I was hoping to get some advice from my tutor, but there has been radio-silence since before Christmas. Eventually, I just tried all approaches I could think of. The first was soft-body physics. After playing around with the settings a bit I came to realise that my intestine is a long tube and would possibly not curl up. Even if it did, I would probably need to bake the simulation many times until it falls into the right position. Wanting more control, I tried using rigging with bones. It seemed simple enough. However, the intestine has around 25 segments and I quickly felt overwhelmed by having to pose all of them. Thinking the intestine is basically a long flexible tube or rope, I looked for rope tutorials and found this one: . It uses a Bezier curve and curve modifier to bend objects. I stuck with this approach as it gave me the control I was looking for, being able to draw the curve into the scene. The curve can be subdivided to add more detail. It acts almost like rigging, so I might use that approach in the future. If I have time in the end, I will add some soft-body physics on top of the Brezier curve.

Along the way, I also watched the rope tutorial from Andrew Price (Blender Guru), but found it not fitting my purpose. I am still linking it because maybe I need it for later:

I also changed up many of the textures by adding some dirt in Photoshop. The original scene was just too clean. Having the objects appended in the scene allows for quick swapping of the texture nodes in the shading tab.

Lastly, the napkin was added using cloth physics simulation by following, who else, but the blender guru:

At this point the computer started having some delays when switching from object view to shader view. Luckily, I am doing all this on a pretty powerful computer. For future projects, I will need to make sure I am more conservative with vertices and high quality textures.

Nevertheless, with the scene now mostly set, I will add lighting and render it.

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All