The Wastelander's Chest

This is the travel chest of a scientist and artist who travels the wastes of a fictional planet. In it he carries his samples, sketches and notes. The interior contains several items, such as vials, maps, the note- and sketchbook, drawing materials and spare paper. It tells the story of the wanderer and invites the observer to explorer it. I wanted it to be not an only visual object, but interactive just as much.
The contents are varied. On the left is the notebook with sketches. Infront of it lies an alien fruit on leaves as illustrated on the right page. I’ve sculpted it in plasticine and then cast in silicone. The pages of the book are weathered with instant coffee and by scuffing the edges. Next to it, in the centre, is what used to be a tobacco box and contains now samples for under a microscope and pencils. Right to is a pricelist of various goods found in the wasteland, a glass with bones (cooked and baked chicken bones), ink and pen. All the way to the left is some spare paper and a bottle of “Universal Disinfectant”.
I’ve found this chest in a thrift store and had it sat around for a while until I talked about Da Vinci’s notes and nature studies with a friend. I started on a sketchbook of a “Da Vinci” on an alien planet and expanded the idea to the chest. It was first modified by sawing the front plate in half and attaching the hinges, so it could open to the front. This makes it more visually interesting as the contents can be viewed all at once.



I’ve started this build with the motivation to test and strengthen my skills by building from an existing design. I just got access to a 3D printer and laser cutter and wanted to use this project to get to know these. The model is based on the spaceships in Mohole by Manchu (2018). I like them, because they encompass what I envision under a freighter spaceship. I’ve also decided to illuminate it from the inside and the rectangular shape accommodated that.
The build started with a blueprint in Adobe Illustrator as those files can be fed to the laser cutter. The spaceship is in a ¾ position in the original painting, so I had to adjust the measurements to fit the 2D blueprint. Regretfully, I messed up and now the ship is stretched in length.
The body of the ship was then cut from MDF and partially assembled while the wiring for the lights was put in place. The details were gradually built up from styrene sheets and 3D printed parts. Finally, it was painted with acrylic paints and oil washes. The stripes on the “floaters” are insulation tape. These are much easier to apply and have straighter lines than the alternative. That is using masking tape and acrylic paint, where there is almost always spill. Finally, I’ve put it on a pedestal and am now the proud owner of my own spaceship.


Outpost 43

This diorama was created for the Prometheum Wastes Chopshop magazine. The magazine tells the story of inhabitants of the Prometheum Wastes and the planet they’re on. It is loosely set in the Warhammer 40k universe. The magazine features monthly challenges to which readers can submit their builds and encourages kitbashing and trashbashing (using parts from everyday items) to do so.
Outpost 43 is my submission for the “dome” challenge of June 2020. The defining feature of each submission had to be a dome. I wanted to keep it simple and decided to let the dome really stand on its own. I immediately knew I wanted to make a geodesic dome, their strict geometric structure always intrigues me, and the mathematical side was an additional challenge. To add contrast and in theme with modern radar-domes I added the antenna as the second element.
The dome itself is built on half a polystyrene ball with the triangles cut from plasticard. It turned out that the triangles did not align all the way due to imprecise cutting and I covered the gap with the tarp, a paper towel drenched in wood glue. This is one of the examples where a mistake becomes a defining feature. The antenna is built from various plastic bits: plugs, bottlecaps, sprues, and others.
The painting was mostly done by airbrush. The rust effect was achieved though a basecoat of rusty colours and the salt chipping method to remove the white paint added on top. Streaks, rain marks and some colour modulation were added with oil paints. Most of the details are hand painted with acrylic paints.


Adeptus Mechanicus Army

For the tabletop wargame Warhammer 40.000 from GamesWorkshop, I have collected and painted an army of Adeptus Mechanicus. I like them as they are close in design to the original artwork from illustrator John Blanche. The Techpriests of the Omnissiah have a beautiful skeletal dieselpunk aesthetic.
The army is part of a monastery dug into the mountains of a secluded desert planet haunted by regular monsoon rains. Detached from the main trade routes of the universe, equipment and supplies are limited and as such is rusty and worn. To make the army truly my own I’ve added and changed some details. It is a continuing project and new models will be added depending on new releases.
The first walker was painted with an undercoat of rust-coloured pigments suspended varnish, followed by chipping fluid and a white paint coat. The latter would then be chipped and the underlying varnish reactivated to create rusty streaks. However, I’ve abandoned that technique for the rest of the army as white over a dark undercoat requires a lot of coverage and makes zenithal highlighting difficult. The rest of the army was painted using a white basecoat of zenithally highlighted white followed by traditional painting methods featured by GamesWorkshop.
The bases are modelled with cork rocks and ‘sand’ made with sodium bicarbonate and CA glue. The glue sets immediately in contact with the bicarbonate. The larger models are affixed to the bases by wires glued in holes drilled in the underside and contact points.


Subscribe Form

©2020 by Build Runner. Proudly created with